“Dumb enough,” and healthier and happier for it

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Chairman of the House Agriculture Committee, Rep. Collin Peterson (D-MN), speaking to a reporter at the Financial Times:

For whatever reason, people are willing to pay two or three times as much for something that says 'organic' or 'local'. Far be it from me to understand what that's about, but that's reality. And if people are dumb enough to pay that much then hallelujah.

With all due respect Rep. Peterson, isn't it your job as Chairman of the Agriculture Committee to understand what the organic and local agriculture movement is all about? And shouldn't you show a bit more respect to the people who are making the organic food sector grow by between 17 and 21 percent each year since 1997, while overall U.S. food sales have grown at a rate of only 2 to 4 percent per year?

(Rep. Peterson's quote via FarmPolicy.com)

6 Responsesto ““Dumb enough,” and healthier and happier for it”

1. Mark says:

Unbelievable...time to throw out all of congress, democrats and republicans alike! Although the republicans scare me, at least they put up a fight for what they believed -- the democrats have become weak and seem to be waiting for easier times with a new president. Guess what, it will only get harder if they continue to ignore what the public is saying and doing.

2. Anonymous says:

I'm guessing it's his job to be a mouthpiece for agribusiness. Hence, his comments about the stupidity of organic food buyers is a calculated spin.

3. shelly says:

Oops! speaking of stupidity, I forgot to sign my comment.

4. Jack says:

Hey, if he was receiving a LOT of "contributions" from the organic sector, why, he might have a slight clue. But that's not where his money comes from.

Lack of knowledge and understanding is one of the key criteria in getting elected over and over again.

5. Christina says:

At least it's obvious what kind of business' Rep. Peterson are supporting. If he educated himself, he might learn a lot of people are earn their living by growing organic products. Perhaps they don't contribute to his election campaign ...

6. RawFoodGuy says:

I guess I am dumb by Peterson’s standards since I eat almost nothing that isn't organic. I guess it is smart, by those standards, to eat nutritionally depleted factory-farmed foods, genetically engineered foods with unknown health risks, and of course foods grown by people who make political contributions to the right people.

Personally, given these definitions I would rather stay dumb. I foolishly take comfort from knowing that the food I eat isn't contaminated by anything like e coli, pesticide, or questionable man-made strands of DNA. I enjoy the fact that it is cheaper for me to eat these so-called "expensive" organic foods because my food is 80% to 300% more nutritionally dense that the commercially grown foods, so at least twice as cost effective (see http://www.rawfoodlife.com/Articles___Research/Organic_vs_commercial_food/organic_vs_commercial_food.htm)

Finally, I enjoy knowing that the lifestyle I choose to live is healthier, more enjoyable, tastes better, creates less garbage is sustainable and requires less energy. So I am a dumb person. Well, this is proof that the old saying IS true: "Ignorance Is Bliss!”

- RawFoodGuy