Farmers market overload

This Hook'n'Go cart, specially designed for farmers markets — a birthday gift from my mom last year, when it was NOT $60, I hope — has been a lifesaver when my personal pack mule husband can't accompany me on my big shops.

Saturday was some sort of record -- I think I have 50 pounds of stuff on there. Two large apple juices, three large fresh tomato juices, potatoes, onions, oranges — I could hardly drag the thing! Note that when unloading, you want to start with the bags on the handle end and work outward, or else it will tip over.

8 Responsesto “Farmers market overload”

1. Jenni P says:

That describes my farmers' market experience most every week! It takes a bit of balancing on the loading side of the equation as well.

Also, mine needed a bit of modification. I've heard from other owners that their wheels tighten so much as to paralyze the thing. I had the opposite problem -- a wheel kept falling off. Each week, I'd drop a wheel, swear, stick the wheel on with no fastener, cross my fingers, backtrack, discover the nut and washer a block or two behind me, twist them back on and continue on my way. This happened a ridiculous number of times before I went on the hunt for new ones for both wheels.

Locking nuts to fit the hook'n'go were hard to find - I had no luck at my corner hardware shop or two of the big box chains. I then discovered Tacoma Screw (which has a few locations in Washington and one each in Oregon and Idaho). I spent fifty cents and five minutes there, and the dear man behind the counter searched out the right parts and even installed them for me -- he hooked me up 'n' I was ready to go.

2. leslie says:

dang bonnie--wish i was coming to your house for xmas dinner! happy holidays ethicurean.

3. Siel says:

Dude -- What's up with all the plastic bags? I wanna see fewer plastic-encased farmers' markets -- especially at Ethicurean! :)

4. Bonnie P. says:

Dude -- I brought my own plastic bags, which I manage to get three or four uses out of on average! It's true though, I have yet to achieve my Ethicurean halo of being plastic-free. I still use it to store my produce in the fridge, and to buy bulk items at the grocery store. What do you use in those cases?

Leslie -- c'mon over. We're having crabcakes, mushroom soup, brisket, and some sort of green item.

5. Siel says:

Ha! Glad to hear they're reused :) I take some reused plastic bags to the farmers' market too -- reusable mesh and fabric bags work for most of the stuff, but how else can one transport strawberries? I did once take a big tupperware container and throw it in there, but it can be a hassle for the people working the booth if it's busy and other people are waiting....

6. naomipaz says:

Hello fellow ethicureans,

I am not especially experienced, as some of my friends already are, at making the most responsible choices... I don't compost, living in an urban apartment, etc. However, plastic bags may be the worst way to store produce in your fridge. I used to use paper towels to line the produce drawers, but only got slightly better results. The best way to store produce is either to line the drawer with a 100% cotton dish towel - terrycloth is fine but you may get some cotton fuzz on your carrots - or, with more fragile produce, wrap each item in a waffle-weave dishcloth, again 100% cotton, this is how I store portobello mushrooms and sweet onions.
    We are still obligated, in my building, to wrap our garbage in plastic bags
    so every once in a while I will accept them from vendors. But most of the
    time, I use a practically weightless nylon reusable bag by REISENTHEL which is sold by THE CONTAINER STORE and perhaps others, which comes in its own little zip bag and folds up very small so you can carry it
    everywhere. As nylon bags go, it's a little pricey, but it is pretty and you only need to buy it once.
    Happy New Year all,
    naomipaz.
    p.s. as to strawberries, as well as other berries, I know some are sold in
    recycleable fibrous molded and perforated boxes - why not talk to the
    vendor and encourage them to use those?

7. Jennifer Parschauer says:

Where can I get a hook n go for less than $50??

8. Bonnie P. says:

Jennifer: I don't think you can, except maybe on eBay.