Turnips are takin’ it to the streets

While walking down Broadway in Oakland (between 30th and Brook), I came across the remarkable poster shown above. A Google search for "Edible Root Crew" turned up nothing. Is this the work of some nearby youth gardeners? Or are the words on the poster some kind of urban slang? Or could it be that the people that installed the "Corn Syrup" sign in North Oakland are branching out into healthier foods?

Have you seen this poster in your area?

10 Responsesto “Turnips are takin’ it to the streets”

1. ratgrrrl says:

just last night i had pizza at the temescal lanesplitter & saw a bike parked there with a felt turnip flag on the back.  intriguing...

2. Maybe it's like the "Eat More Kale" bumper stickers and T-shirts. Just a grand idea. :)

3. Carly says:

Interesting!  I think I'll start a rutabaga movement in my neighborhood.

4. Amber says:

There are some more photos posted on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsizzledotcom/

5. Twwly says:

I have no idea, but I LOVE it!!

6. Betsy says:

Where can I get an "Eat More Kale!" t-shirt?  I belong to a CSA with my neighbors.  They keep giving me their kale, collards and chard because they have never cooked with them.  My favorite farm-stand grower said she will grow fewer collards next year because so few people buy them.  I've got to turn this attitude around!  T-shirts are a start!

7. Try this:

Cheers,

-Walter

8. Jim says:

No, but I'm blogging it.

9. Ken says:

I just saw another Turnip piece at 5th & Cedar in Berkeley.  It was a painted VHS cassette, hanging by the tape on a nail.  It had more of a graffiti styling than the poster you found.  I like it a lot.

10. whight trash says:

this is one of many stickers by erc
    this guy is alot like people such as dead eyes, and everbodygetup.... all can be found on flickr.com
    here is his site