Currently Browsing: Community

Winter, Shminter: Not Everything Sleeps when the Ground Freezes

I usually take a giant chill pill the months of January and February (ok, and maybe March too). I have never lived in a place without blizzards and tear-inducing wind chills. While that might be sad to folks who prefer equatorial breezes, I’ve generally enjoyed the cold times of the year as a season of rest...

Learning to share: “Dinner at Your Door,” by Alex Davis, Diana Ellis, and Andy Remeis

Not quite two years ago, as our local meat CSA was in the works, I gathered with a few people to discuss “The Omnivore's Dilemma,” the Ethicurean, CSAs, and local food in general. One person turned to me and asked how they could make time for the shopping and cooking required to get away from the fast-food,...

Digest – Blogs: MLK on community gardens, Nestle on Salmonella, and the BPA 10-step plan

King of the garden: Martin Luther King may never have seen a community garden, but he no doubt would have approved of them. Tom Philpott reflects on how the community garden movement, and its symbolism as an explicit rejection of the industrial food system, is one realization of King's dream. (Grist)...

Making Thyme combines fast with food — but real food, not foodlike substances

Editor's note: Please welcome our newest addition to the Ethicurean "team," Stephanie Pierce, who's written for us quite a lot as a guest contributor. A native of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Stephanie will soon be moving from Grand Rapids, MI, to begin a yearlong kitchen/garden internship at the...

Hoe, hoe, hoe! A Victory Garden wish list

Dear Santa, December is already here, and though I'm sure you must be busy running the rush orders through your workshop and checking those lists of "naughty" and "nice" and loading up the sleigh, I'm afraid that we've been so caught up with putting our gardens to bed for the winter that we're a little late...

Opening up: Notes from the Northeast Ohio Food Congress

When I hear or read comments that dismiss local foods as something only folks in California can do, I'm puzzled. Everywhere I go in northeast Ohio, I see farms and markets that have locally grown and produced foods for sale. So I have to wonder: is no one paying attention to us here in the heartland, or are...

Artists explore urban sustainability at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts

"Gatherers — Fallen Fruit, Elysian Park," 2005, giclee print, photo courtesy of David Burns, Matias Viegener & Austin Young (downloaded from YBCA's press room) A new exhibition of artists' responses to the concept of sustainability opened at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco last...

Celebrating food independence: A review of “Depletion and Abundance”

OK, quick check: everyone who is concerned about the economic crisis turning into a depression and causing food and fuel prices to rise and pockets to empty — whether for yourself, your parents, your children, your neighbors, your friends, or anyone — raise your hand. That covers about everyone, doesn't...

A fair look at agriculture

Different folks have different ways of knowing when the summer is drawing to a close here in Ohio. Some swear by the increased volume of the crickets' chorus, others don't believe that summer is officially over until first frost, and still others adhere strictly to the school calendar, when the kids return...

The eat is on: A virtual Victory Garden potluck

If you've strolled through your local farmers market lately, you've noticed that for most of us around the continent, we're seeing the peak of harvest season. Farmers pile their tables high with intensely red tomatoes, brilliantly hued hot peppers, earthy potatoes, luscious fruits of multiple varieties, and...

Rebuilding itself, New Orleans is reconstructing food community

The following post is by Stu Shafer, a professor of sociology at Johnson County Community College in Kansas and a farmer-member of the Rolling Prairie Farmers Alliance,  whose newsletter this post first appeared in. He visited various food projects while in New Orleans earlier this month for a conference...

Getting a handle on sustainability: It’s the ecosystem (stupid)

Caption: Monterey Bay Aquarium visitors watch a small bluefin tuna (center). If world overfishing of this top predator doesn't slow soon, aquariums may be the only places to see one. The word "sustainability" came up a lot at the Sustainable Food Institute portion of the Cooking for Solutions 2008 shindig...

« Older Entries Next Entries »